The Lower Green is just across the Parker River on Rt. 1A. It was cleared for pasture, a school and became the center of the civic life in the early years.
The Lower Green has a memorial to the first settlers.
The inscription reads: “To the Men and Women Who Settled in Newbury From 1635 to 1650 and Founded Its Municipal, Social, and Religious Life This Monument is Dedicated, 1903.”